|Urban Garden - Raised Beds|
A couple important things to remember though - are:
- Use untreated wood for the walls - I like 2 x 10 pine from the local building store - try and use wood that has been certified as being raised sustainably, such as FSC (Forest Stewardship Council).
- Make sure you incorporate a well drained material for the base (rock, gravel or sand)
- Wash your base down real good before adding your growing soil or topsoil to remove any lime or high pH material
- Add your organic matter, including,
- mulched leaves (don't use yard waste from yards that spray chemicals)
- kitchen compost
- cow or horse manure
- worm casings
- and other good organic compost
- Add your mulch, and
- Plant your veggies!
Happy Urban Gardening!
Feel free to email me your questions here...